Friday, January 20, 2012

Purity Of Inner Space














Inner space as a vast playground for the young is still true in India today as it was when I was growing up in Delhi, Faridabad and Saharanpur. Innocence in India means purity of inner space. If you are able to express your emotions but nothing interferes or transforms your inner space then you live like an innocent child – very clear as a pure being. You may be surrounded by hardship – however, the place of your interior may not be related to the place of the exterior. In India, a million children find beautiful feelings of ecstasy through this tireless logic. Total innocence leads to enlightenment.

The earlier part of my life took place in India. We didn’t have much, but it never felt like anything was missing. My parents grew up in a small town, got married, joined the Indian army, had a kid and bought a Vespa scooter. Life was perfect. This was in the seventies, when the sun was exceptionally hot near the equator and people went to the Hindi films in movie theaters to stay cool. Last night my beloved father who is now a cardiac anesthesiologist in private practice in LA sent me these images from our time in India. He titled the email:
“Old Memories.” Seeing me play with our ten months young son Cadence brought back memories of him being a loving father. I am fortunate to have him teach me how to care, to love and to be an involved parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment