Saturday, November 17, 2012

Happy Diwali India




My uncle at the Berkeley Iscon Temple

As a child growing up in India meant celebrating Diwali, the festival of light with my family. Our home, which was a modest doctors apartment at the time got a new coat of paint bright yellow in color. I would also accompany my Obstetrician mother to the market to purchase some yummy Indian treats to share with our neighbors, and later in the evening we would light up a few firecrackers with my Orthopedic surgeon father (he went on to train in Cardiac Anesthesia in America). Diwali for the Hindus is the cultural equivalent of Christmas and the Chinese New Year. This tradition is now being passed onto my son who shares many spiritual traditions encompassing both Christianity and Hindusim. We celebrate anything that requires celebration from a variety of cultures. Yes, it is very important and exciting to share these momentous times with my son so he can have a wide international perspective as he journeys into a vibrant global culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment